The San Antonio Housing Authority’s Family Self-Sufficiency ( FSS) Program has been an integral part of the Housing Authority since 1990. FSS is a voluntary program designed to assist families in achieving economic independence and self-sufficiency through education and job training.
- A current Section 8 Voucher participant and living in San Antonio?
- At least 18 years old?
- Motivated to change your current life circumstances?
- Interested in obtaining more education and/or job training?
- Determined to free yourself from having to depend on public assistance?
- Willing to receive case management and sign an FSS Contract of Participation?
If you answered YES to all of these questions, then FSS is for YOU!
Participating FSS families are required to sign a "Contract of Participation" with the San Antonio Housing Authority. An FSS family has up to five (5) years to complete the specific goals and objectives established by them in their "Individual Training and Service Plan". The "Contract of Participation" outlines the rights and responsibilities of the family during their participation in the Family Self-Sufficiency Program.
Support Services available to you during the program:
- Personal Case Management
- Education and Training
- Career Counseling
- Career exploration
- Job search
- Resume writing
- Interviewing Skills
- Parenting Skills:
- One-on-One Training
- Financial Planning and Budgeting
- Counseling Services:
- Support groups
- Communications Skills
- Substance Abuse Counseling/Treatment
Upon entry into the program, participants will have their earned income excluded as follows:
- Year 1: 100% of earned income will be excluded
- Year 2: 50% of earned income will be excluded
- Year 3: 25% of earned income will be excluded
- Year 4: 20% of earned income will be excluded
- Year 5: 10% of earned income will be excluded
The exclusion period will begin on the effective date of the FSS contract and will last a total of 60 consecutive months.
The FSS Program Housing Assistance Specialists are equipped with the resources necessary to help you succeed. SAHA partners with other agencies and organizations to provide access to the necessary resources to assist you in overcoming obstacles that prevent you from reaching your goals.
- One-on-One Case Management
- The FSS Housing Assistance Specialist provides one-on-one case management to participants, outlining your plans for self-sufficiency in reaching your goals.
- Referral Services
- The FSS Housing Assistance Specialist assigned to your case has an in-depth guide to resources in your area.
- Money Management Classes
- SAHA sponsors financial literacy classes each quarter for participants in the program. Topics range from starting a checking and savings account to preparing participants for homeownership.
- All FSS Housing Assistance Specialists are certified FDIC Money Smart Financial Literacy Trainers.
- Homeownership Education
- The FSS Program partners with the HCV Homeownership Program
San Antonio Housing Authority
Housing Choice Voucher
Family Self-Sufficiency Program
820 S. Flores
San Antonio, Texas 78204